Personalising a Walking Stick
We offer four services for altering any of the walking sticks sold on our site.
2. Shortening wooden sticks
3. Fitting a plain or spiked metal ferrule on a stick supplied with a rubber ferrule originally.
For the engraving option, we arrange a small brass plate to be engraved locally with yor requested text. Once ready (usually 2-3 days) we wrap it around the shaft of any wooden stick and glue it on. It looks like half of a brass collar when fitted to the stick. If you order a custom made stick that will be made from scratch, we can add a full brass collar with engraving instead. This is because the engraver can engrave on a collar, but only when it is not attached to a walking stick as it won't fit inside the machine.
We can make any of our wooden sticks shorter (but not longer - unless made to order). We will cut it down to whatever height you need.
For ferrules (the metal or rubber tip at the base of the stick) - most sticks have a rubber ferrule fitted which we will send to you unless you add the option for a plain or spiked metal ferrule with your order. In these cases, we remove the rubber ferrule, taper the tip and then attach a metal ferrule. You will also be supplied with a rubber ferrule to go over the top.
There are also a number of other modifications you can do yourself at home.
1. Tying ribbons, string or rope around the shaft
2. Gluing on badges or formed pennies. You can buy various kinds; British counties, clubs, flags etc. The pennies are formed to fit neatly around the shaft.
3. Gluing on patterned fabric around the shaft with fabric glue or PVA to change a plain wooden stick into a delightful patterned one.
4. Varnishing and painting any wooden sticks are also options. You can use a wood stain or paint to transform your stick. Adding a clear matt or gloss finish varnish to painted walking sticks will protect the paint from wear and tear and from the elements.
We would love to hear from you about anything walking stick related.
Tel. 01954 201159 or 01353 968774